Thursday, March 31, 2016

The crushing weight of crushes

Teenage spark everybody!!

So today's discussion is going to be about crushes.
I'm sure everybody has had a crush at least once in their lives. Heck, I'm only 17 years old and my list of crushes is longer than my ever growing obsession with food!
Sorry, bad analogy.
Back to the point, here are a few thing I sincerely wish I had known when going through my infamous 'Crushing' stage.

1. TELL SOMEBODY!
I've noticed that keeping your crush's identity to yourself just ends up in a complete disaster. Like on a scale from my-friend-is-mad-at-me-because-I-didn't-tell-her to my-best-friend-actually-likes-the-same-darn-person (I've actually been through both) and everywhere in between. So tell your bestie or a trusted family member. Your confidant can give you tons of advice and do some inconspicuous spying, and telling them might lift a weight off your shoulders! Who knew crushing could be fun?

2. DON'T READ TOO MUCH INTO SIMPLE ACTIONS
A mistake I've continuously made with all my crushes is reading far too much into ordinary actions. Like, maybe he held that door open for you because he was being chivalrous and not because he's desperately in love with you.
But how can you distinguish innocent gestures from possible flirting?
This is where your trusted confidant comes in. Tell him/her what happened and ask for their views. If they think that you might be right then good job girl! You might be on your dandy way to hooking a man! But if they think your theory is far-fetched, do not get mad at them!
I speak from personal experience, my best friend was the only thing anchoring me from spinning off into ImaginaryCrushLandia! Oh good times, good times...

3. DON'T LET A CRUSH CONTROL YOUR LIFE!
This is very important. If you notice yourself changing for the worse because of your crush there is a problem. I'm not saying that all changes have to be bad. Like, if you notice yourself brushing up more on studies so you'll have something to talk about with that super cute nerd, then that's good!
But, if you start becoming more rebellious in order to grab that bad boy's attention, or start neglecting your homework because you've been Facebook-stalking your crush, this is not a good sign! You should in no way change yourself for anyone! If he likes you, he should like you for who you really are. It's cliche advice, I know, but it will save you many from problems in the future.

4. THERE ARE OTHER FISH IN THE SEA
This is far by the most cliche thing I've ever read on a website.
Like the amount of times I've scrolled past this and thought 'it's not that darn easy' is uncountable. But when I'm writing my own blog, I've realized the importance of stressing this point to you.
If he doesn't like you back, it's completely his loss and there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
I'm serious, somebody will realize what an amazing person you are! And if it's not him, it's someone else.
I've gone through this, so I know exactly how it feels. I very clearly remember forlornly wallowing myself in ice cream because my crush had asked this really bitchy girl out. The very next week, I saw the cutest barista in Starbucks and thought 'Oh well'


So, the next time you're crushing on some cutie, remember all this. For now, put your man-hunting skirt and go get a pole sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment